Discription: Information:
Full Name: Fry William Dean
Service number: 33916793
Rank: Corporal
Function: Tail Gunner
Birthdate & Place: 1925, Pennsylvania
Hometown: Greensburg, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Educucation: 3 years Highschool
Profession: Chauffeur
Family: Clarence L. Fry (father) Thelma F. Fry (mother)
Awards: Purple Heart ,Air Medal, Air Medal , American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Army Air Force Aerial Gunner Badge, Presidential Unit Citation.
Cemetery: Henri Chapelle American cemetry Belgium, Plot W, Row O Grave #M, Wall Of Missing
Date of death: 17 December 1944
Place of Death: Rzymkowice, Poland
Status: MIA
Mission data: Serialnumber: 42-51941 Type: B-24J Destination: Odertal, Germany Mission: Bombing of the synthetic oil plant MACR: 10682


Cpl William D. Fry enlisted in Greensburg, Pennsylvania on 28 January 1944. He attended high school for 3 years and was a chauffeur before he enlisted. He received his basic training at Greensboro, North Carolina. Later he was sent to Fort Myers, Florida. While there he was graduated from the Flexible Gunnery School and received his silver wings and a Sharp shooters’medal. After having 14-day furlough at home here, he reported back to Westover Field, Mass., where he was grouped with a 10-man crew for special flight training he received at Chatham Field, Georgia. He left for overseas in October 1944.

The Odertal oil plant was located in a part of Poland that was annexed by Nazi-Germany. The place is now called Zdzieszowice.

Statement of S/Sgt Kenje Ogata:
"I, Staff sergeant Kenje Ogata, 16037445, was ball turret gunner on an airplane in the same flight as first Lieutenant Theodore C. King, flying aircraft number 42-51941. On 17 December 1944, Lieutenant King was flying number two position, deputy flight leader, on a mission over the Odertal oil plant in Germany. Shortly after passing over the target the lead airplane seemed to be pulling out of the formation and lieutenant King, in the deputy lead position, moved to take over the lead. As Lieutenant King let down his tail hit the number one propeller of the lead ship, as it was coming back into its former position. I saw Lieutenant King’s airplane spiral down and go in a flat spin. The tail of Lieutenants King’s aircraft was sheared off. The weather was clear and just before the plane hit and burst in to flame I saw one parachute open. This was at about 1255 hours at approximately 50 28N, 18 04E, in Germany."

The plane that they collided with was 42-52045.

Only one crew member, S/Sgt Joseph Weisler, photographer, survived and was taken prisoner. The other 10 crew members are listed at the Tablets of the Missing at Henri-Chapelle.

In November 1947 and April 1948, an investigation team searched for the remains of the crew. No information pertaining the burial location of any of them could be found in German records. The interrogation of eye-witnesses and town officials were also without result. Evidence, however, indicated that the remains, if recovered, were interred in the POW cemetery at Lamsdorf (Łambinowice, Poland). Lamsdorf was previously the location of Stalag 2 and it is estimated that 460,000 dead of several nationalities were interred there in mass graves of about 1800 bodies each. Officials stated that all burial were made without clothing or identifications of any kind. In November 1947 several graves were opened but in no way any Americans could be identified. In April 1948 permission to enter the area was refused because the cemetery site was being used as a Russian anti-aircraft artillery range.

In the case of one crew member, S/Sgt Howard G. Miller, records contain a letter from a Polish civilian who wrote to the widow that he saw the crash and that Miller was killed as a result of parachute failure. He claimed that Miller was buried in a forest nearby.